This is a great healthier option for a delicious moist cake that will make you the bell of the ball, the life of the party, the … I’ve run out of idioms…. It’s a good cake. Try it!
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt (flavoured or plain)
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 2 punnets of strawberries
- 1 cup water
1. To start with, pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a cake dish and cover the bottom with baking paper. Then sift your flour and baking powder into a big bowl and then mix in your coconut.
2. In a separate bowl mix your sugar and eggs together until you get a smooth paste. then add in the vegetable oil and Greek yogurt and combine.
3. Add the wet ingredients into your flour and baking powder and mix together until you get a smooth cake batter.
4. Slice about 3 1/4 of your strawberries into thin slices and then position them around the bottom of your cake tin. You can get as creative as you want with the pattern.
5. After you have covered the bottom of your cake dish with the strawberry slices, slowly pour your cake mix over the top. Then take your strawberry jam and a knife. pour the jam over the top of the cake and, using the knife, mix the strawberry jam around the batter until you get a ripple effect throughout the cake. Be careful not touch the strawberries at the bottom of the cake dish.
6. Place the cake in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cake has risen and you can stick a skewer in the centre and it comes out dry.
7. While the cake is baking, take the remainder of your strawberries and put them in a pan with 1 cup of water. Let them simmer until the mixture has reduced to a sticky syrup. If your strawberries aren’t super sweet like mine were, you can add a couple of table spoons of sugar to the syrup to give it a sweeter flavour.
8. Once your cake is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool slightly before turning it out onto a wire cooling rack. The bottom of the cake will become the top.
9. Just before you serve it, pour the strawberry syrup over the top so it soaks in a little and sprinkle with a little more desiccated coconut.
So moist! Anyone else hate saying that word… moist…